Sunday, August 5, 2012

Cod a la Veracruz

My parents called and asked if me and Hailyn wanted to come over for dinner tonight since my husband had to work till 7:00. I was a little hesitant because I don't want people to feel like they have to cook special meals in order to cater to my no dairy/soy diet but my mom said that they were cooking up  a new fish recipe that she was almost positive didn't have any dairy or soy in it. I decided to go over there and figured if there was in dairy or soy in the recipe I could just cook my fish separately. After I got over there I looked through all the ingredients that the recipe called for and sure enough there was no dairy or soy. I was pretty excited. 

Well the fish came out delicious so I thought I would share the recipe. It is a great recipe if you are looking for something that is dairy/soy free, but even if you're not on a dairy/soy free diet it is a great recipe! It is also pretty fast to prepare, which is also good if you have kids :-)

Cod a la Veracruz




Ingredients
1/4 cup pitted, chopped green olives
2 T capers
1 pint cherry tomatoes
1 handful fresh parsley or cilantro, roughly chopped
juice of 1 lime
1/4 cup olive oil
fresh or pickled jalapenos, chopped (optional) 
4 fillets (any firm white fish, like cod, halibut, or snapper), 4 to 6oz each
salt and pepper to taste

Directions 
1. Heat the grill to medium low
2. Prepare the salsa, in a mixing bowl combine the olives, capers, cherry tomatoes, parsley or cilantro, lime, olive oil, and jalapenos if using
3. Assemble the packets, fold four sheets of aluminum foil in half lengthwise, and then unfold and lay them on the counter. Season each fish filet with salt and pepper. Place it on one side of the foil, parallel to the crease. Top each fillet with one-quarter of the salsa. Fold the foil over so it covers the fish completely, and then roll the edges tightly to seal the package.
4. Cook the fish, place the packets on the grill grate and close the lid. Cook the filets until they are done all the way through, 8 to 10 minutes.
5. Enjoy!

We had bread, salad and artichoke with this but I think that it would be really good over rice too. 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment