Saturday, August 4, 2012

Happy Birthday to Me!!

Today was my 25th birthday and my first birthday as a Mommy! While I was pregnant I had already decided that on my birthday we were going to go to this restaurant that I had been wanting to try and I really wanted some delicious crab. Well when my mom called me a week ago asking if she should make reservations for my birthday dinner I realized that there wasn't really any point in going there because the only way to eat crab is dipped in lots of butter, but that wasn't an option now that I cant have any dairy. I was pretty disappointed at first since I had been looking forward to it for so long. But then I realized it is just something I can look forward to once I am done breastfeeding. 

For my birthday dinner we ended up going to a Japanese restaurant. I got sushi and made sure to let them know I had a severe dairy and soy allergy (even though it is not me with the allergy it is just easier than explain it to them and it makes them take is seriously). They were very considerate and made sure to check with the chef that everything I order would be dairy and soy free. It felt good to know that there still are food options when I go out to eat. It was a little hard looking at the menu though and realizing all the things that sound so good but that I can't have. All I had to do though was look over at my daughter and remind myself that I was doing this for her :-)

Now typically people have cake on their birthday but since I am unable to have dairy and soy I had a lot less options. The funny part is before I started the dairy/soy free diet I was never really in to sweets, especially stuff like cake and ice cream. But of course now that I can't have it I want it. I had been told to try So Delicious ice cream. They have ice cream made from coconut that is both dairy and soy free. They also have ice cream made from almond milk that is also dairy and soy free (the store I went to did not cary the almond milk ice cream). Now not all of the coconut ice cream flavors are dairy and soy free so I only had a few options flavor wise. I ended up choosing mint chip. After taking my first bite of it I was a bit disappointed, it totally tasted like coconut and I am not a huge fan of coconut flavor. But it was weird after a few bites I no longer tasted the coconut and only tasted mint and chocolate. It obviously wasn't too bad because I ended up having seconds lol I would definitely buy it again. I am going to keep my eye out for the almond milk ice cream, I would like to see how that one tastes.


Oh and how can I forget my husband, my parents and my in-laws chipped in together and got me an amazing new camera for my birthday.

Its a Nikon D3100 Digital SLR camera and I absolutely love it. I have been wanting a camera like this for awhile, and ever since I had Hailyn I wanted one even more. I want to be able to capture all the little moments and the quality of the pictures with a camera like this are just amazing. I will share more about the camera once I get some more practice using it. 

2 comments:

  1. That is a good way to look at it, that lobster is something to look forward to when you are done breastfeeding. Not like you will be breastfeeding you're whole life! Nice camera, have fun with it.

    ReplyDelete