Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Eating on vacation

About two weeks ago we were on vacation and it was the first time I had gone on vacation while being dairy and soy free. Going in to it I didn't think it would be that difficult, since I felt like I really had the hang of it and knew what I could and couldn't eat. I made sure to bring a few snacks that I could eat and figured that whatever we were having for dinner I could just pick and chose the items that I could eat and just not eat the stuff with dairy and soy. I can't believe that I even thought it would be that easy since EVERYTHING has dairy and or soy! I forgot to add that my mother-in-law did all the grocery shopping for the trip, she knows that I am dairy and soy free but unless you really know what you are looking for in the ingredients and have done it for awhile it can be really hard. I didn't expect her to do that. Which is my fault that I didn't bring more foods that I could eat. 

Luckily I was able to eat the bread that she bought so I pretty much had a ham sandwich with avocado every day for lunch. It definitely got old after awhile but it was really my only option. For dinner I could usually eat whatever meat they were eating but then usually couldn't eat any of the sides. For example we had ribs one night with baked potatoes. I can have baked potatoes, I just can't put all of the good stuff on it. So I had a baked potato with seasoning salt, yuck! If I would have been back at home I would have been able to put my dairy free/ soy free butter spread that I have but since we didn't have that I ate a very dry baked potato. It wasn't horrible but it definitely was a lot harder than when I am at my own house. 

Here's a website that I found that is pretty helpful when you are traveling and want to stop at a fast food restaurant to grab a quick bite to eat http://www.godairyfree.org/eating-out/fast-food-dairy-free-listings Its so helpful that more and more restaurants are offering allergen menus online. 

Its been roughly a month and a half since I went dairy/ soy free and even though it has gotten a lot easier, I still have my days that I just want to cave in and eat a big slice of cheese or a glass of milk. I think I really have a hard time because I am someone who LOVES food! Being dairy/soy free really eliminates a lot of the good foods, although I am starting to discover a lot of good meals that I can eat. I hope to find more and be able to share the recipes on my blog. I have been slacking with posting recipes so I plan to add a few within the next few weeks.  

No comments:

Post a Comment